Re: Heads Up on Grid Control 10.2

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:12:04 -0700

On 9/29/06, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Back on thread.  This post makes me ask, is it common out there
to apply patchsets (not a "patch" from r1 to r2 as in th OP)
to functional Oracle Homes?  I should think a safer approach
would be to install a new R1 home, apply R2 to it and if
you are happy, switch over to it by dragging your TNS stuff
over. Or is my views of the common Oracle Home as too
simplistic? That is how I approach it here anyway.  That is,
until we finish implementing our filesystem snapshots in which
case the patchset application process can be as junky as
anyone could imagine and I wouldn't care. Just revert to a
snapshot and make it writeable... not worries.

Thoughts ?

Here's mine:

Today I patch the current oracle home.

What I would like to do in the future is clone the Oracle Home, patch it and
and leave the old one behind for a few days as a failsafe if needed.

Sometimes it would be needed right away.  :)

The only obstacles (I think) to doing so are managing the Oracle inventory.

Andy Rivenes has a great paper on managing Oracle apps from a DBA
perspective,
which includes managing the Oracle Inventory.

http://appsdba.com/papers/oracle_utilities.pdf

Following the  practice outlined in that paper would make it a simple matter
to rename the Oracle Home, cp -r to the oldOracle Home name, patch it
and restart the database.

This is also one of the techniques Jeremiah Wilton espouses for minimizing
downtime when patching.

These techiques assume a unix like platform.  Cloning on Windows is not
covered. It can be done, but requires different (more work) techniques.

It's the registry ya know.

--
Jared Still