Re: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yong321@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:42:45 +0300

I'm not sure what do you mean by word "Developers". If these are just
plain coders building sql/pl/sql/whatever code according to spec then
probably RAC is not so significant. On the other hand normally for new
systems there is such a role like system architect. He has to think
about the app and avoid serialization points (for example sessions
table which is modified after each request from ten nodes for
hundreds/thousands of users) as much as possible. DBAs later can
somehow leverage the harm already done trying to tune table's physical
attributes etc etc, but he has quite limited possibilities to do that.
If the system architect/lead developer/whatever we call him wouldn't
chose exactly this solution life would be easier for all people later.
So probably DBAs don't need to go in cubicle of each of 5/10/100
developers, but he definitely HAS TO GO in cubicle of the system
architect and tell him what RAC really needs and what to avoid, unless
system architect already knows that. And then system architect/lead
developer HAS TO model the app and create system architecture avoiding
possible serialization points. If system architect is not doing that
alone then all significant persons should be warned and know about
consequences of RAC.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu