Re: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:32:06 +0000

Hi Michael,

On 22/02/10 18:34, Michael McMullen wrote:

> Not mentioned is I think RAC requires a commitment from developers to
> program apps with RAC in mind. I find more and more that people think of the
> db as a block box and that thinking will kill the rac. So increased
> development costs should also be taken into consideration.

It's actually worse than that-I don't actually know anyone at work who
is a developer and understands RAC (there are lots of very talented
people out there but I didn't have the pleasure working with them). And
that's not only current work, that's past jobs as well. Hopefully you
can use dedicated server connections and a decent TAF tnsnames.ora entry
to make _some_ use of RAC without code changes. In that respect I really
liked Forms and Report :)

Nowadays the dogma RDBMS = legacy is hammered into peoples' heads and
hardly anyone (leaving university) knows about Codd's or Date's books.
Too many hibernate implementations out there where developers don't even
know which part of their code produces a bit of SQL that is hammering
the interconnect, locking/latching madly etc. So yes, single instance
with physical standby(s!) is definitely better suited for such applications.

However, that said there are cases where RAC is absolutely essential and
I love working with it. There is no other database product out there I
know with that level of sophistication (if you exclude things like
Streams/Advanced Replication etc which cloud the overall picture a
little). Don't make the mistake however of buying 2 single core pizza
boxes with 64G of RAM and infiniband just to save on the RAC EE license
cost-use Standard Edition instead with your homegrown standby database
maintenance scripts-I used to do this a lot while working for a managed
services  provider in Brighton.

Off my soapbox now, and apologies to all good developers out there!

Martin

--
Martin Bach
OCM 10g