RE: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "yong321@xxxxxxxxx" <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>, Tony Adolph <tony.adolph.dba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:32:42 +0200

Yong,

For an application to realy benifit rac, the developers have to make it aware
of fan.
There are some prerequisites on the java classes to be used and statements
should be retried when a failover happens.
To be scalable on rac the application should also be "functional partitioned"
so different modules of the application can be pointed to different nodes
(instead of just load balancing everything).

And last but not least, the application should be performance tested on rac.
Executing a lot of queries each doing full table scans, makes rac very unhappy

So yes, if you want your application not just to run on rac, but also really
benefit from it and have good performance, then the developers should develop
with rac in their minds.

(and not use Hibernate)

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge