RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:55:25 -0400

My objection to autoextend is that a faulty process or application can
(erroneously) insert reams of data into a table, extending the file and the
tablespace high-water mark such that the space is hard to reclaim even after
the bad data has been deleted.  This perhaps is not a frequent occurrence, but
it's happened to me enough to turn me against autoextend.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1