Re: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:12:41 -0600

I agree with Jim, in general. Using AUTOEXTEND on a regular basis is a "hands-off" database administration style not very dissimilar to the kind of "hands-off" parenting style I seen all too many families (my own included, unfortunately), where the parent essentially tells their teenagers "I'll stock the kitchen with food, do your laundry, and keep a roof over your head, but you raise yourself." Setting boundaries and monitoring things is as necessary with databases as with kids (especially teenagers!), for the long-term health of both. Although permitting teenagers independence is one thing, permitting database applications that kind of "go-grow-yourself independence" is another thing entirely.

Having said that all that, I find great usage for AUTOEXTEND in migration situations, where a database is being loaded with god-knows-how-much data. For a temporary period, AUTOEXTEND can be utilized to permit load jobs from failing for stupid reasons. Once the migration is completed, then AUTOEXTEND should be disabled and normal boundaries and monitoring re-established. I'm sure that there is an analogy to raising teenagers somewhere in this, as well... :-)

Just my $0.02...

jim.silverman@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Personally, I don't like to use AUTOEXTEND on any datafiles.  On more
than one occasion we've run into problems in which a datafile
autoextended to the point where there was no more room in the
filesystem.  As a result, the issue now included not only the database,
but the OS as well.  And, while recovering from this situation (e.g.,
moving a datafile to another filesystem) is not rocket science, it's yet
another complication in our already complicated lives.

I'd rather make use of monitors that warn us when we're close to filling
a tablespace, at which time we have the luxury of deciding how to deal
with the situation.

Just my $0.02...
===================================== Jim Silverman Senior Systems Database Administrator Solucient, LLC - A Thomson Company Telephone: 734-669-7641 FAX: 734-930-7611 E-Mail: jim.silverman@xxxxxxxxxxx