RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: "Smith, Steven K - MSHA" <Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:09:59 -0600

I don't see the big downside of having autoextend on (except for temp
tablespaces - those things can become a monster with a bad piece of
code).  At our shop, we use nagios to monitor the file systems.  This
helps prevent us from running out of space in the file system without
having a tablespace fill up with a job in the middle of the night that I
wasn't told was going to run.  (kind of like having a GPS ankle bracelet
on your teenager - right Tim?)

That said - I believe in monitoring to make sure that my space
assumptions continue to be correct.  If circumstances change because of
a release of code or a change in the business model, then I can decide
if I need to change my storage strategy.

Steve Smith

Desk: 303-231-5499