RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:01:53 -0400

Yes I agree, (mostly), I should have said that I would autoextend TEMP
and UNDO but limit the growth with max size set.    The other datafiles
however I am still unconvinced in my case that they need maxsizes.
All I would do is increase the maxsize or add another data file anyway
when they filled up.   We do not do massive loads (presently).  I agree
we (all) should monitor.

As to the main question however, is deciding on a good increment_by
size.  I think I received enough input on this, even though most input
was on philosophy :-), including one who responded privately lambasting
me for not knowing that 'next extents' where the same as
'increment[al]'.  Oh well.

My conclusion for the moment is to set them to 10Mbs, (Small, but
actually some are smaller yet).   Then monitor using Grid the rate of
growth, and make adjustment accordingly, mostly up, (64 - 100Mb, except
System).    The Peoplesoft applications will be put on hold for now as
they have quite a few tablespaces and many of the do not grow at all, so
they will be looked at later separately.

Now, I just have to hone in on where in the EM Grid this is done.
(Available space is already monitored).   Where I can monitor rate of
growth of all datafile(s) growth.

Thanks for the comments.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator