RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:50:48 -0400

Joel,

This whole discussion always is defined by your current infrastructure.
In your case, you have slow steady growth, so an active auto-extend
infrastructure and monitoring process probably does not make sense.

But for those of us who have databases that either grow regularly, or
have active batch loads, auto-extend and active disk growth monitoring
is a requirement.  I certainly do not want to be called to work because
an Oracle data file is full when there is enough room on disk where it
can grow by itself.  Of course, once you turn this on, you need a
monitoring process to forecast when you will fill disk and when you need
to inform management that more disk needs to be purchased.

So there is no right or wrong way to do this.  As with all things,
Oracle gives us the ability to allow the database to grow automatically.
But we don't need to use it.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this
transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  In addition,
unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law,
including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.