Auto Extend On, Increment By

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:42:03 -0400

I have proposed to have all datafiles on all databases autoextend with
and increment size of 1280 blocks, (10Mbs).

the size of the datafile and how rapidly it's increasing in size.  How
to measure growth.

My reaction is like:  Being consistent does not mean behavior will
change in each situation.   For datafiles that do not increase... they
won't autoextend anyway.   For datafiles that do extend, the ones that
grow less will not extend very often.   One datafile may extend once per
week, and another twice a year.  You don't have to have a 'size' that is
proportional to how fast it grows.

I'm wondering what the communities reaction is before I respond.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator