[optimal] Re: Optos

  • From: "Paul Paquette" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "visualeys@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 13:35:05 -0400 (EDT)

My $.02, I agree with most of the banter but someone mentioned it's NOT as user
friendly as Std fundus cameras but I think that's coming from an experienced,
quality conscious Imager & it's just something different that you have to get
used to (it took me a while). A newbie or, dare I say, lazy photographer might
find it easier just to line up the pupil with circle until it turns green &
shoot rather than look thru eyepiece, align, focus, eliminate cresent & other
artifacts, refine etc...

Not a lot of adjustments can be made without seeing how the 1st image turns out
but just a few alignment suggestions include:
-Remove blue rubber faceplate as some noses may need to actually go inside the
bowl & rest on the metal plate below or against the "bump" in the plate (nose
may be partially imaged also).
-Turn head slightly to the outside & forehead as close as possible, sometimes
the chin needs to come back some, for gross alignment before doing fine
adjustments with remote. "+" & "-" until dot turns green & guide number under
image window is slightly to the minus side (should see eyelid shadow
approaching iris) esp with small pupils, IOL or post yag fiberous capsule.
-As mentioned, it's tough to get fingers into position to lift both eyelids &
if you can you may just be replacing the image of their eyelashes with an image
with your fingers. So lift their eyeBROWS & if necessary the patient can pull
lower lid down by pulling down on their cheekbone.
-Also mentioned was that you get wider images horizontally than vertically but
you can select "S" to get better views of the Superior field & "I" for better
views of Inferior views.
-Don't rely on the green dot going thru the center of the pupil. You can shoot
around cataracts & other vitreous pathologies by offsetting dot somewhere
closer to the periphery of the pupil & if you're shooting "S" field offset dot
inferiorly, "T" field offset nasally etc...

Ben -You may have been joking about the penny arcade version but actually
you're not too far off. The newest Optos "Daytona" is a much smaller, tabletop
version that the patient aligns their own head & eye & then the picture is
taken. Currently I think it only has color photos & AF modes, no FA etc. yet...
but you know it's heading that direction!!

Sorry these comments are a few days late. Just back from long vacation & still
catching up.
Paul