[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:12:44 -0700

From what I was told by the CE at an NBC o&o station in a brief telecon
(we'll have a sit-down after the show is over) the only things coming out of
New York is the news.  His station's analog and HDTV feeds are COME DIRECTLY
OUT OF ATHENS.  New York is upstream from Athens in this configuration, not
downstream.

Here's how I understand it: MPEG-2 elementary streams are encoded in Athens,
live, and they're decoded in the MPEG-2 section of digital TV sets in
millions of homes.

I haven't taken the time to check with the folks I talk to at the network,
but this is the first time I've heard of a non-CBS network doing something
like this: controlling stations from remote venues, not the TOC.  Oh, yeah,
TOC's control networks (legacy mode) and not stations.

The biggest complaint one hears about this from CBS stations:  "How come
just the o&o's get this degree of control?"  I've been told -- and not from
official CBS folks handling this, who I've talked to more than a few times
this year on "another" topic -- that all the stations could have this
technology this year, after the o&o's work out the bugs.

I can't say -- at this point -- that is exactly what NBC is doing.  I will
know within a week or two of the end of the games.

Distribution and contribution are 45 Mb/sec.  Transmission is 18 Mb/sec.

And, of course, the stations do have to "decode" the 4:2:2 MPEG-2 signals to
make them 4:2:0 for transmission.  That's still required.  But, you used the
word "decode."  Maybe I'm being pedantic/technical, but I tend to call that
"transcoding."  And, since it requires one to throw away bits, of course
data is lost.

When one takes a DS-3 feed down to baseband, unless I'm missing something,
one should not assume that a single bit is lost.