[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:04:43 -0400

Perhaps you could call what NBC is doing 'transcode'. However, the NBC
affiliates are decoding to uncompressed baseband from the 40Mb/s compression
and re-encoding to 18Mb/s for transmission to the consumer.

We are having to go through the decode/encode cycle at our broadcast station.
However technology is catching up and there are now 'economical' devices which
allow us to seamlessly splice and to insert logos on the MPEG-2 video without
decoding.

I would be curious to find out if NBC is decoding to baseband at New York. I
don't think they would be constricting the feed to the US. I would suspect that
everything incoming to New York for DTV network distribution must be decoded to
pass NBC's DTV network control.

Terry Harvey