[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: Don Moore <donmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:01:32 -0400

Terry Harvey wrote:
> I had another look at the HD Olympics coverage today. I watched the track
> and field events. The pixelation and problems with the MPEG-2 encoding was
> really obvious.  I am amazed that not many people are mentioning this:
> perhaps it is because they are writing about it but don't have an HD set to
> actually watch it. How odd.

Given the discussion - I spent this afternoon watching the Women's 800
Meter on WXII-TV, Winston-Salem, NC (over the air).

Over a two hour period, I saw only one "glitch" - a freeze in the
picture - which appeared to be something other than a bandwidth issue.

I did not see any issues that I normally see with their NORMAL
upconversion. In normal programming, the WXII-DT signal completely
pixelates to a shredded wheat image for 2-3 seconds every 15 to 20 minutes.

It would appear that issues are LOCAL for each viewer and station.

Don Moore
Greensboro, NC