[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:36:07 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I think I see what you are saying; this is really just a war against
> Apple? I'm not sure that is the case but perhaps you are right.

Actually, I think Richard made the point that Apple must know what they are
doing. So no, I think it's more a case of Apple calling attention to itself.

If I wanted to market a new automobile to the driving public, I would certainly
design it to run on paved roads. I would not design it to run on a system of
monorails. Even if I gave impassioned speeches about how wasteful paved roads
are, I would either have to be stupid, or I would have to have some ulterior
motive, to design a car that only runs on monorails.

And it would be foolish to expect the DOT to build the system of monorails my
new car required.

None of this would even have been an issue, had Apple stuck with standards used
by the industry. What the media execs say about tablets would have been a big
who cares. They also complained about VCRs back when. They will complain about
any change. The point is, the CE companies and the computer industry have to
serve the needs of their customers. You don't do that by deliberately crippling
the appliances.

And of course, the Apple-oriented trade magazines will try to shift the blame
to everyone else.