[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:18:26 -0400

This is what I was driving at, when responding to Craig before. HGTV should not be expected to bend over backwards to suit the pleasures of Apple Inc. It's up to the appliance vendors to figure out how to use what's already there. Big screen or small screen.

What has this got to do with Apple?

Apple devices can access free and open content available on the Internet, like smartphones and tables from any manufacturer. The concern is when a device is blocked, as happened with Google TV and other devices. It is not a question of figuring out how to use what is already there; the media conglomerates want us to pay AGAIN if we want to see the content we are already paying for on these mobile platforms.

While the story that you are commenting about was based on the concerns about the iPAD app that Time Warner just released, it was not about Apple or the iPad per se, but rather, it was about the fact that the media conglomerates are contending that the ONLY DEVICE that the MVPDs have the legal rights to deliver their content to is a traditional TV. If it is ANY kind of mobile device, iOS, Android, et al, they are contending that the cable/DBS companies cannot deliver the content going to the TV to these mobile devices.

The guy who markets toasters is responsible to make them available with standard AC plugs and suited to the power standard of the country where the toaster is sold. Toaster vendors should not expect to design their appliance for some arbitrary oddball standard, no matter what their rationale might be for doing so, and then get all huffy when they don't work right. Almost all of this stuff seems to be Flash, as far as I can tell. (It may well be H.264 in a Flash container. So? A Flash player plays it.)

What has FLASH got to do with this? It is simply one of many technologies that are available to deliver content over the Internet. Case in point, you cannot access these FLASH video files on Hulu or Fox.com with Google TV.

Please get the burr out of your butt about Apple. This story is about the desires of the media conglomerates to have total control over how you can watch their content, and how they can make you pay for it multiple times if you want to use multiple viewing devices.