[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 07:48:55 -0400

At 11:52 PM -0400 3/28/11, Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
Apple's resistance to flash is economic!

It is a breach in their wall! If their players, and their software are the only gate, they control access. Allowing flash means losing. That would be losing just about everything. When Apple started the iPod the store was a loss leader. Apple didn't make any money on the store, but made on every iPod sold. Over time that changed. Now the store is gold, and Apple still makes money on over priced iPods. The iPhone and iPad are the recent/new market. They are game changers. Personally I have a never locked Nexus1.
I wish I bought Apple stock 10 years ago, or google 6 yrs ago.

I do not disagree that there is an economic element in all of this, just as there is an economic element in Google's decision to push WebM instead of h.264

Apple supports MANY third party players, and QuickTime makes it relatively easy to extend support to new codecs. FLASH is another story...

Exactly what would Apple lose if they allowed FLASH on the iOS devices?

Answer: BATTERY LIFE, which is one of their main advantages with both the iPhone and iPAD.

Another answer - customer satisfaction. There are some customers who may be irritated that they cannot access some web content. There are MANY MANY more who are very happy they do not have to put up with the constant barrage of pop-ups and banner ads that ARE supported on the Mac Safari browser. Count me in the second group.

Overpriced iPODs? Show me any alternatives that offer the same capabilities for a lower price. The real issue here is that Apple has effectively REPLACED the iPOD and competitors in consumer's minds, as the basic functions are now just another APP on the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPAD, Consumers still buy some iPODS, and continue to use those they already own, for specific applications - especially for running and working out. My fist iPod is now permanently in my truck; my first iPhone now plays music at the Brewery and in our tasting room.

I agree that the iOS devices are game changers, and wish I had invested more and earlier in Apple.