[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:29:41 -0400

I don't think this is the case, Dan. At least some of the cable companies do offer the live Internet streams of their programs to their subscribers. And then there are also the sites of the content owners themselves, two of which I pointed out yesterday. So this material is already available over the Internet, one way or another.

Yes, this was covered by several articles I have posted. These articles ALSO pointed out that the conglomerates are opposed to this and trying to STOP it.

And you will not find live streams available on any of the conglom web sites or Hulu. They only provide this content AFTER it has aired on the networks, and the MVPDs that deliver these live streams.

In some cases you can pay for additional subscriptions to watch live streams, as is the case for some CBS and ESPN sporting events.

The ONLY issue, as far as I can tell, is that the media companies won't bend over backwards just to suit Apple's iPhone and iPad. **But**, the media companies can only discriminate against these devices because Apple allows them to. Because Apple doesn't stick to the industry standards.

So, Apple, figure it out.

STOP IT BERT!

This is not a war against APPLE. Much of the media coverage involves Apple because they are far ahead of the competition in developing alternative content ecosystems and devices to consume this content. But the rest of the industry is in hot pursuit with more than 100 new tablet devices announced. And Apple is no longer the market leader in smartphones with the rapid uptake of Android by competitors.

The simple fact is that these new apps are developed first for Apple devices because that's where the majority of customers are today. But every one of these announcements includes a paragraph stating that an Android or RIM versions will be introduced soon.

I don't really care about Apple's excuses why these hand-held appliances shouldn't run Flash Player. I am instead addressing those, such as Craig, who go on and on about how the media companies are to blame. No they aren't, not entirely.

FLASH is just a technology sideshow. The normal friction you see in a marketplace when a successful proprietary technology is replaced with standards based technology. In this case, even the standard - HTML5 - allows for multiple competing codecs.

Kon did a good job addressing Dan's concerns about browser support for HTML5 codecs. I'll add that most Internet portals deal with this by offering their content in all of these formats, negotiating with the browser to stream a compatible file. This is an extra burden for the companies providing the streaming services, but it is the way things work for now.

 In my opinion, the big media conglomerates better re-think their
 strategy if they want to keep their revenue stream else the
 current youth, with their portable devices,

Or, Apple can rethink its attitude about not conforming to industry standards. And if Apple prefers NOT to allow its faithful to receive these media streams, then Apple faithful can put the blame where it belongs, for a change?

Apple is perhaps the biggest proponent of industry standards. That is why they are putting their resources into HTML5.

Get over it Bert. Apple is selling millions of iPADS at least in part BECAUSE content providers are supporting these devices with h.264.

Seeing the occasional window pop up saying that the content is not supported is no big deal, ESPECIALLY when most of this stuff is unwanted ads and other crap.