[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:25:34 -0500

Craig wrote:

> Other media executives worry that encouraging viewers to watch on
> iPads could train a new generation to eschew TVs-and potentially
> never sign up for cable and satellite subscriptions that often
> bring in half TV networks' revenue.

And Dan replied:

> Perhaps, but if people cannot get their programs on their portable
> device (and want them there), they might start cancelling their
> cable subscription and go to other services that will allow them
> to view media on their device, ...

> In fact, media "channels" like HGTV, MTV and Discovery might lose
> viewership as media consumers look to programming that can be
> viewed on their portable device.

But at least SOME of these media content companies ALREADY provide their
content to any standard Internet device. You mention HGTV and MTV, and they do
this already:

http://www.hgtv.com/full-episodes/package/index.html

http://www.mtv.com/

They don't seem to provide the live stream, although some would argue that
those on-the-go might prefer an on demand service anyway? Then too, hasn't the
"by appointment" nature of TV been vilified time and time again on this site?

I agree that media executives may be nervous about this, or that perhaps some
of these networks don't put *all* of their shows online, but I just don't
understand the blanket criticism. HGTV offers a ton of full-length episodes
online.

This is what I was driving at, when responding to Craig before. HGTV should not
be expected to bend over backwards to suit the pleasures of Apple Inc. It's up
to the appliance vendors to figure out how to use what's already there. Big
screen or small screen.

The guy who markets toasters is responsible to make them available with
standard AC plugs and suited to the power standard of the country where the
toaster is sold. Toaster vendors should not expect to design their appliance
for some arbitrary oddball standard, no matter what their rationale might be
for doing so, and then get all huffy when they don't work right. Almost all of
this stuff seems to be Flash, as far as I can tell. (It may well be H.264 in a
Flash container. So? A Flash player plays it.)