[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:39:00 -0700

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Apples resistance to Flash is based on simple facts. It is a processor hog
> which kills battery life, and there are better stabdards based solutions
> available today. The reality is that the majority of video content on the
> web is now available in h.264, and FLASH is growing less important by the
> day for video. It is still an important defacto standard for all those
> banner ads, but HTML5 is going to change that too.

There is a perpetual stream of disinformation in this and most OpenDTV
threads when it comes to what is and what is not 'Flash Video'.

- As far as the video side is concerned:
Flash video is usually delivered by Flash Media Server (FMS). FMS can
deliver your MOV or MP4+H264 files to a flash decoding device.
So your point is moot.

- As far as the CPU side is concerned:
The latest versions of Flash are uniform across all devices, and
support hardware H264 decode if available, and acceleration via OpenGL
ES2.0.
So your point is moot.

These 'features' have been around for quite a while.

> You might want to check what codec is being used for all the FLASH content
> you watch. Another reality is that much of the FLASH content out there is
> just a FLASH wrapper around an h.264 file.  AND, a very large percentage of
> site that serve video, like You Tube, will negotiate with devices and
> deliver a compatible file.

Actually it is usually a standard MP4 file with H264, MP3/AAC. Flash
player can decode this progressively (play over http), or via FMS
(streaming, MP4 files get reencapsulated on the fly into the RTMP
protocol). I know that's a nice talking point, but really, there is a
point to using RTMP in that it allows for all the two-way and shared
object type functionality that a standard streaming protocol does not.

Cheers
Kon