[opendtv] Re: New Philips HDD/DVD recorder

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:14:15 -0500

Amen!

TTFN,
Mark

Adam Goldberg wrote:
This is why AFD should be implemented (well) ASAP. The rest of the workarounds suggested are band aids that really won't work well anyhow.
Adam
adam_g@xxxxxxxxx

On Dec 26, 2007, at 6:54 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Santa dropped off a nice new Philips DVDR3575H/37. I just
wanted to fire off a first impression, after having
completed the initial setup.

All works nicely, but this unit does seem to generate an unusually high
assortment of aspect ratio "solutions," let's call them. I realise that
broadcasters have a ridiculous number of optional ways of transmitting
the format of the image, but it does seem to me that receivers should be
capable of automatically adjusting the image such that one of the
dimensions, at least, is filled completely. Furthermore, that once the
receiver has been given the aspect ratio of the monitor, there should
never be a reason for the user to have to either stretch out or compress
the image to remove distortion.

And especially annoying when the settings vary from program to program
and station to station.

Perhaps, a solution would be to allow the user to select the best
setting for each and every channel and subchannel the receiver has
scanned, and these could then be saved in non-volatile memory.

Once the program has been recorded, you do get four optional zoom
levels. That solves the problem, but only in playback, and with some
fiddling with menus. It just seems unnecessary, when watching something
live off this recorder's receiver, to have to put up with black bars
top, bottom, and on both sides, and no monitor setting available to
remove them. Curiously, some of the PBS subchannels create this effect,
if one wants to see the program undistorted.

Possibly, the Accurian and Digital Stream boxes are unusually clever
about this problem, and that I got spoiled. Don't know how prevalent the
issue is out there in wide screen TV land.