[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:11:37 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Prediction, if and when cell phones offer DTV
> reception in any country, sales of those cell
> phones with DTV reception will outsell 8-VSB
> receivers that year by 10,000 to one.

I doubt it, once NTSC is shut off. No way.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that *any*
portable appliance for TV signals needs to be
compatible with the TV standards in place. If you
have to deploy a special, dedicated TV service for
these portable appliances, I think you'll encounter
a big risk. If you're clever enough to make the
appliance work with the signals being broadcast
already, then only the CE manufacturer will be
involved in the risk equation.

We'll see. It seems to me that people will continue
to look for untethered portables even after NTSC is
shut off, and at that time, demand for ATSC portables
will certainly go up. Thanks goodness this is not
likely to happen before 2009 now, giving us a chance
at a couple of generations beyond the Casper chip.