[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:20:58 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I'm not sure how much sense it makes to share OTA tuners but maybe.=20
> However it makes a lot of sense to share hard drive servers, so if=20
> multiple tuners are in a server PVR then I like the idea a lot better.

Yes but ...

In some cases, a separate server as you describe might make sense.
But it makes no sense for sets you drag along to a picnic, the
beach, or camp site, or in homes that only use one or even two
such small sets and want no big deal setup. It's silly to install
a bulky home server if all you own is a couple of 13" portables.

So, IMO, you can't design DTT sets to *only* appeal to the gadget
freaks, because that would be the kiss of death.

For example, the whole point of the new DVB-H standard is to make
portable appliances capable of operating independently, anywhere.
For that, they must incorporate whatever OTA tuners they need,
rather than expect to be tethered to some short-range home server.
(They also depend on a relatively low 10 Mb/s channel, but that's
another discussion.)