[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:02:42 -0400

Craig wrote:

> 2. Is this viewing considered to be important enough to spend=20
> hundreds of dollars to buy a new DTV capable receiver? And will it=20
> work with rabbit ears in the same location?

This of course is a valid question, and the answer *ought*
to be "just like NTSC." These sets will not cost "hundreds of
dollars" eventually, nor will they be new, eventually.

As to reception, I fully expect that DTV will be received with
equal or better success than NTSC. Cliff is an example of where
this happens today, albeit not from the market closest to his
place.

> Bert...you tend to look at this stuff with historic blinders.

Au contraire. I take the long term view, not the snapshot of the
next year or three.

> Do you really expect people to invest in DTV receivers for OLD TV=20
> sets that are only used infrequently?

Again, I take the longer term view. People will not quit buying
the smaller set for kitchen or patio, or the odd bedroom. People
will not throw away that TV set that they consider "primo" today.

The longer term view, Craig.