[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:10:19 -0500

At 12:28 PM -0500 3/24/05, Mark Schubin wrote:
>Not quite.  Broadcasters will have spent large amounts of money for
>their part of the transition, and, if my location is any indication,
>may lose some coverage.

What broadcasters have spent is little more than "Protection Payments."

As a percentage of annual revenues, broadcasters are at the bottom of
the list in terms of capital investments in their distribution
infrastructure. During the time that broadcasters have spent ~$10
billion to build the DTV infrastructure, cable has spent more than
$70 billion. And the DBS operators have spent many billions as well,
not to mention buying down the cost of receivers.