[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:04:44 -0500

Perhaps this is one of the most trenchant and intelligent posts ever made=
 on this reflector. Its part of the charge sheet in this ATSC fiasco whic=
h is a fiasco without end. As far as the vendors are concerned they want =
a) systems that work b) sell c) a minimal set of returns and d) margins. =
ATSC fails on all four counts. That's why its going nowhere. Australia ha=
s now been proved very wise to have chosen DVB-T instead of ATSC, its loc=
al variations are easily catered for, and it is leveraging off the back o=
f global DVB-T economics. And the Aussies must be laughing up their sleev=
es..

Keep at them John: the facts, the facts and the facts.
Kind Regards,

Dermot Nolan
PS, I loved the analogy about the Kama Sutra. I fell off my chair laughin=
g this morning.  We have another phrase on this side of the pond: 'Armcha=
ir Generals' who sit, spout, and steam. To be ignored.

--
 =

Craig,

If we had a simple plug and play DTV system, that was capable of portable=
 =

and mobile as well as delivering HD to fixed receivers, it would be just =
as =

powerful as NTSC.

DTV Must Carry is already part of the rules.  Whenever a station turns of=
f =

it's NTSC, either voluntarily or after the dreaded cutoff date, Must Carr=
y =

of their primary program stream is assured.  Status Quo.

If NTSC is the goose that laid the golden eggs, then ATSC simply laid an =

egg.

If the CEA wanted to sell lots and lots of pretty, big, and expensive HD =

displays, then a workable DTV system would help, not hurt that cause. =

Digital Broadcasting Australia shows on their website HD STBs offered for=
 =

sale by no fewer than 14 different manufacturers.  Not 14 different model=
s, =

FOURTEEN DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS. (25 different manufacturers when SD onl=
y =

boxes are included!), Most of the HD STBs are priced at around $700 AU, =

which is less than $550 US.  This in a market of 14 million PEOPLE, not =

households.  It's insane that we're still sticking with ATSC after all th=
ose =

"the next generation will be the magic one" promises.

The NAB decided to stay with ATSC rather than fight it out over changing =
the =

DTV system because 1] They truly believed that the receiver problem was a=
n =

easy fix (after all, look at the European system, and digital is digital,=
 =

right? Can't be that hard.) and 2] Congress was salivating over the untol=
d =

Billions that a spectrum auction would bring, and threatened the =

broadcasters with new legislation giving free air time to all candidates =
as =

part of a "campaign finance reform" package if the broadcasters dared to =

rock the boat and delay the transition.  Little did they know that the de=
lay =

would be due to the uncontrollable part of the equation, the manufacturer=
s.

Look, Craig, Bert, and everybody else, the free market is the most powerf=
ul =

and efficient system in the world to allocate resources.  If a nation of =
14 =

million people with a unique DTV system (DVB-T, HD, 7 MHz channels) can h=
ave =

14 different manufacturers vying to sell them High Definition DTV STBs, t=
hen =

surely those same 14 companies and more would be crawling over each other=
 to =

break into the US market with 300 Million people.  But they're not.  Why =

not?  Because they know how difficult (read: expensive) it is to build an=
 =

ATSC box that actually is plug and play.  They aren't stupid.  They have =

labs.  They can build prototypes and mess around with them.  And they kno=
w a =

money sinkhole when they see one.

The point is, almost 6 years later we're still waiting for 1999 COFDM =

performance out of an ATSC box, but we will never get it because ATSC isn=
't =

capable of portable, mobile, or low power (consumption) operation.  Maybe=
 =

with Representative Tauzin out of the picture, Congress can finally see t=
hat =

no matter how many times LG demos a prototype box, unless it can be made =

economically, and by many vendors, then they aren't going to be made, =

period.

It's disgusting that it comes down to someone like Bert arguing for ATSC =

when he hasn't even tried one yet.  That's like a virgin arguing the fine=
r =

points of the Kama Sutra.  Meanwhile, we have people like Bob Miller, and=
 =

Sinclair Broadcasting, who have seen both side by side and know exactly h=
ow =

many light-years COFDM is ahead of 8-VSB, yet are dismissed out of hand.

But no, let's stay the course.  I do believe that may be an iceberg ahead=
, =

Captain Smith...

John
(The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, expectin=
g =

different results.)

Sender: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>