[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:38:45 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Did you not read what I wrote to preface those reasons?
>
>  Terrestrail television broadcasting exists in the
>  United States today for two reasons, neither of
>  which have ANYTHING to do with technology:
>
> Clearly if these reasons have nothing to do with technology,
> a different technology would not matter.

The question being asked was why did the NAB and others
keep insisting on 8-VSB and not giving COFDM a fair hearing?
And why now that decent 8-VSB is possible is this
technology still being held back? These are perfectly valid
questions.

Here's what Bob had written:

> I still cannot comprehend the unreality of it all. It
> simply does not make sense that this is happening in the
> US. How can we as a country act this stupid? And it goes
> on. I have not been quiet about my attitude toward LG and
> 8-VSB in talking to anyone there including those who
> developed the 5th generation chip. I have told them we
> more than prefer COFDM, we intensely dislike 8-VSB.

A response to this has to demonstrate why an inferior OTA
scheme is to the advantage of some party or parties. Who
benefits?

Your refrain about NTSC franchise does not answer this
question. Neither the NAB nor the govt would benefit from
an inadequate DTT scheme. The OTA franchise is not at risk
with a good DTT scheme in place.