[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:29:19 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> > On the other hand, there's nothing quite as
> > aggravating as petulant, whiny children. We aren't
> > getting DVB-T, okay? Get over it.
>
> This often seems to be the response when someone
> criticizes ATSC.  But ATSC continues be be vulnerable
> to criticism because the repeated promises for
> improvement continue to be broken.
>
> It is of course somewhat offensive to be called a
> whiny child.

Yes, well, I was responding in kind. I guess that's
not good policy. Depending on one's point of view,
offenses from one side or the other tend to be
overlooked.

The simple fact is, that's how I feel about this
topic. The "if only we had gone to DVB-T" complaint
is utterly useless at this point, and sounds like an
excuse to lie back and do nothing.

A good 8-VSB receiver design was demonstrated. It is
now incumbent upon those whose livelihood depends on
OTA to do something proactive, or just accept defeat
and go out of business. Shoulda coulda woulda doesn't
do anyone any good.

Furthermore, it's supremely annoying to be told that
I "defend ATSC," as if I hadn't made my views on this
clear enough. "Defend" isn't the issue. ATSC is what
we have. The question now is how best to use it, not
to keep beating a horse that died years ago. For me,
and you I suspect, this is merely an interesting
academic exercise. I don't have any reason to "defend"
any one technology. My livelihood doesn't depend on
ATSC or DVB-T, so I have absolutely no reason to
prattle on with silly nonsense like some of the
marketing types on here.