[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:27:32 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
>

>>But they're not.  Why not?  Because they know how
>>difficult (read: expensive) it is to build an ATSC
>>box that actually is plug and play.
>>

>I thought LG claimed $50 by 2006, with date certain.
>Your reason can't be right.
>
>I speculate instead that they simply want to minimize
>risk by having Congress set a date certain for analog
>shutoff. And that the same would have happened with
>DVB-T boxes if they had first been introduced in one
>of the Euro countries where OTA TV languishes.
>
>Either that, or a conspiracy of pay-TV providers got
>to them.
>

>>It's disgusting that it comes down to someone like
>>Bert arguing for ATSC when he hasn't even tried one
>>yet.
>>

>On the other hand, there's nothing quite as
>aggravating as petulant, whiny children. We aren't
>getting DVB-T, okay? Get over it.
>
>Bert

That is either we get COFDM or OTA dies, the spectrum is sold off and
who ever buys it will most likely use if with some form of COFDM for
something. Things are changing so rapidly that to expect that
broadcasters will be stuck with 8-VSB for any great length of time is
more ludicrous than almost any other outcome IMO.

Bob Miller