[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:34:21 -0500

Bill Hogan wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>LG is not making STB's with their 5th generation chip because the cost of
>>making them is to high relative to the price they can charge. The
>>cost is in the HD decoder area.
>>
>That is the cost of the "HD Decoder Area" mean?  I know you did not say it. LG
>did.  There are HD decoders in many products.  If they do not have a handle on
>the cost of "HD Decoder" design they are full of crap.  There has been many
>improvements and cost cutting efforts in this area for many years. I would
>consider this a "smoke screen".  And they do smoke a lot in Korea.  I would
>bet that persons associated with Zenith are embarrassed by this whole
>discussion. Or is there anyone left at Zenith?
>This is what happens when US companies are acquired and technology is
>transferred to foreign owned companies whose only concern is the bottom line.
>Do you think Sarnoff would have worried about the cost of  Color Televisions
>when RCA had invented it?
>

>>They expect to have low cost converters, SD only, by the end of next year.
>>

>Are you saying that they are quoted as the end of "2006"?  This statement in
>my option has no credibility.
>Not with this date to be 9 years after the start of Digital transmission.
>

>>These converters will be capable of HD but will not output it.
>>
>The cost of decoding and down converting the HD transmission and outputting SD
>is "NOISE" in the cost
>of a set top box. In fact the down conversion is more expensive than
>outputting the HD signal.
>

>>Would you believe they are sending a TV crew and reporters to interview us on
>>our opinion about 8-VSB and their 5th generation receiver? They are, next
>>week.
>>

>And where would this TV crew and reporters be from?  From KOREA?

Yes, a three person crew from Korea.

>If you want to test the "5th Generation" technology "properly" implemented
>then purchase a LG tuner integrated display and have a go at it.  Why has
>someone not done this?

I have no idea what that integrated receiver is. Is it the new LG
Innotech tuner card like the one in the receiver I tested last week?
That would be a waste of time. We have to wait for them to come up with
a solution. The solution that we tested, the prototype, does not exist
in any product plans or product that LG can sell to some other company.

Bob Miller