[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:32:37 -0500

Craig,

You bring up an excellent point.  I wonder how long it will be before the
FCC mandates that DBS systems that provide local-into-local be able to
interrupt all channels with an EAS message aimed at that market.  It
shouldn't be difficult, perhaps even simply a software revision to most
existing DBS boxes, to have some data in the EPG stream that would force a
directed channel change to a single barker channel for the duration of such
a message.

The FCC currently has an NPRM
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2004/FCC-04-189A1.html regarding updating the
EAS.  Perhaps they will make EAS mandatory for DBS then.  Paragraph 12 of
this NPRM says in part:

"The rules mandate EAS obligations only for analog radio and television
stations, and wired and wireless cable television systems.  Other systems,
including, for example, low earth orbit satellite systems, paging, direct
broadcast satellite (DBS), digital television (DTV), satellite Digital Audio
Radio service (satellite DARS), and In-Band-On-Channel Digital Audio
Broadcasting (IBOC DAB) currently have no EAS requirements."

John