[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:51:23 -0400

>John Shutt wrote:
>
>>  From the Bob Miller demo I saw (www.viacel.com/bob.wmv, in
>>  case you haven't seen it,) a single LPTV transmitter either
>>  on or near Hoover Island covered most of midtown all by itself.
>
>And does it reach Moorestown, NJ or the furthest tips of
>Long Island?

No but that's not a problem.

It is both desirable and EASY to use non-synchronized repeaters to
serve the suburban fringes of these major markets. The fact that the
power levels from the urban core transmitters actually helps, as the
signal levels from the repeaters will swamp the "distant" signals.
Equally important, you can re-use some frequencies to provide
localized services for these suburban communities in addition to the
channels that are available in the core market areas.

My guess is that to properly serve the NY suburbs in NY (state),
Connecticut, Long Island and New Jersey, you would need 10-20
repeaters. It might also be possible to use more synchronized mains
at higher power levels to reduce the total number of transmission
sites. With this approach the entire market could be covered
effectively with perhaps 10 transmitters.

>We have been through all of this at great length. It's not
>enough to cover just the metro area of a market. What makes
>the problem difficult is to cover THE ENTIRE AREA that depends
>on those TV stations.

This does not make the problem more difficult. It makes it easier.
Using high powered big sticks makes the problem more difficult as it
prevents effective spectral re-use. With properly designed SFNs you
get better spectral re-use and the ability to properly design the
network to deal with terrain blocking and other localized geographic
issues.

Yes Bert, we have been over all of this before...

And you still don't get it.