[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:58:15 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> No,
> I have never once complained about the success of COFDM
> boxes or their affordability.

John, you missed my sarcasm.

When you said:

> or the understanding that all the magic isn't in the
> chipset but in a sophisticated RF section that would fit
> right in with mil spec gear,

what you are describing is what the Freeview boxes ALREADY
HAD. We have speculated that the LG prototype used
a dual converion tuner, for better selectivity in the NYC
environment. If that's indeed the case, then it can be
produced JUST AS AFFORDABLY as the Freeview boxes you never
complained about. This is not something that is modulation
specific.

It's very possible that the combination of symmetric
+/- 50 usec echo tolerance *and* a front end that is
very selective is what created that magic. Just because
LG claimed they "couldn't produce it at the price point
they thought necessary" does not translate to $1000. It
might be $100 vs the $50 they wanted to sell these for.

In other words, before despairing, what are the facts?