[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:38:07 -0700

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 09:57 -0400, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> At 11:52 AM -0400 4/9/05, Mark A. Aitken (Webmail) wrote:
> >>  3. Is there a well defined "platform" with all of the services that
> >>  consumers expect today from the other multi-channel services.
> >>    a. A well designed, integrated program guide;
> >>    b. Local caching to support PVR functions and (premium)
> >>  cached VOD services;
> >>    c. Back channel capabilities to support interactive and data
> >>  broadcast services,
> >>    and transactional services;
> >>    d. Competition among vendors to drive innovation and lower
> >>  costs to consumers.
> >
> >On the way...
>
> Really. Broadcasters can;t even get PSIP right. Do you really expect
> me to believe that you can support all of the stuff above with the
> ATSC standard?

Not on the way, already done (multiple times over). Maybe not to the
tune of thousands of users and availability at Best Buy though.

> Again, I know that all of this is possible because your competitors
> are already doing it.
>

> >>  4. Can the system compete with cable and DBS in terms of delivering
> >>  targeted advertising based on viewer preferences, location, or
> >>  demographic factors?
> >
> >On the way...
>
> Not with ATSC.

Really? Do you mean 'not' as in 'not possible', or 'no-one will try'. If
so, you're wrong on both points.

However in terms of someone actually making a commercial business out of
it, you may be right. But that has nada to do with the ATSC standard.

I will concede to the fact that some aspects of the ATSC standard are
maybe not that well adopted. Take the data broadcast standard - no data
broadcasters use it, simply because it doesn't really have a
'real-world' useful feature-set, and manufacturers already had a
solution before it was released.

Cheers
Kon