[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Bob Turner" <bob.turner3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:02:13 -0400

Craig -

> What is this world coming to?
>
> The audacity of terrestrial broadcasters to provide local
> news/weather coverage, or to provide air time to meet their public
> service commitments. Don't these guys understand that they are just
> the conduits for the national networks?

<VERY BIG GRIN>

The problem is that they provide both.  And if local news and weather is
repeated ad nausem, it is NOT serving the local coverage area.  There are
better ways of handling this, and to alienate viewership is not one of them.
The reason I stick with local stations only (besides being a cheap
something-or-other) is that MOST of the time, I value and choose local
programming.  In Boston, there are many excellent examples of the best our
industry has to offer.

Your comment gave me an opportunity to rant over when they overdo it.  As
long as the OTAs provide both, it is a balencing act.

Bob