[opendtv] Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Nick Kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:45:25 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:35 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

> FWIW, I agree. That's why going in with concise and
> focused arguments makes good sense. But going in with
> a loaded agenda, off on too many tangents, doesn't
> make sense.

Let's face reality.   The U.S. DTV transition is a "farce".  The
"Miller Plan" is not a loaded agenda.  In fact it makes a lot of
sense.   The technology has advanced in the past six years and
ATSC is yesterday's technology  imbedded in a "quagmire"
that requires a strong-willed effort to escape.

> The focus should be *primarily* that receiver OEMs have
> stated an unwillingness to do anything helpful without
> a date certain being set for analog shutdown. That's
> something Congress can address with the stroke of a
> pen.

Again, lets get real.   Your statement does nothing but play the
"blame game".   Passing the buck will not extract the DTV
transition from the ATSC quagmire.   Fundamental changes are
required and not just useless posturing but real leadership.

> You have the price estimates, so it's unwise to hide
> them. The estimates say $50 for an ATSC HDTV STB by end
> of 2006. That's far better than what Berlin had to
> go with at the start of their transition. They were
> hoping for $200 STBs at the start, and SD ones at that.

Again you are in Neverland.   Estimates are always cheap and
self-serving to those that promote them.   The transition has had
six years to come up with working receivers at prices comparable
to those already selling in non-ATSC countries.  Where are they?

> If you have other topics to present, like this idea to
> change to COFDM, then the arguments need to be really
> unambiguous. For example, an immediate requirement for
> mobile reception might make a case for a switch to
> COFDM now. Indoor reception and other such arguments
> are just too late *now*. Maybe in early 2002 they were
> still compelling. The NAB missed that opportunity.

Nonsense.   There is nothing in the "Miller Plan" that dictates a
transition to COFDM.    Continuance of  OTA  legacy broadcasting
can only be justified by a technology that works, and one that works
primarily to provide reliable portable and mobile reception as well
as fixed receivers using simple antennas.   If someone falls into
quicksand it is never too late to pull them out before their head
disappears.   There are solutions that extend beyond COFDM and
they should all be considered even at this late stage in the game.

> ...........(And, FWIW, I
> wouldn't discount further receiver improvements to
> support mobile operation with 8-VSB.)

Again, a case of wishful thinking and about as promising as finding
weapons of mass destruction.   Most of us have run out patience
with this line of thinking.

> So if I were the one listening to your arguments, I'd
> wonder why you're at the same time pretending to want
> the transition to be on its way, and then
> simultaneuously delaying it by a few more years with
> this modulation changing tactic.

If I had a broken leg I would have it put in a cast soon as possible
rather than risk being a cripple for the rest of my life.   You can
apply the same principle  to an OTA DTV transition fix.

> (Ooooh, I get it. A hidden agenda. Watch out for this
> guy. That's not the message you want to get out,
> right?)

Yes, we all have hidden agendas.   I am still trying to figure out
what yours is.

> So tally up your arguments. The focus ought to be on a
> date certain, and then get something out of the OEMs.
> Your other tangents just do not seem helpful, to me.
> On the contrary, they defocus your message and make
> your intentions suspect?

Total nonsense (in my humble opinion).