[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:19:45 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> ATSC is simply another tether to the wall, leading to
> the rooftop antenna instead of a satellite dish or cable
> head end,

Then how come my upstairs TV has a tether leading only to the top of the
cabinet?

This is another overstatement. In any event, in most OTA TV
installations in European low-TV-power countries, where OTA is quite
popular, outdoor antennas are used. FOTA TV is still popular.

FOTA TV's advantage is simply that it's free. A colateral advantage is
that (in the US) it doesn't depend one on single umbillical cord, i.e.
to one single service provider. You might have only one antenna
downlead, but there are numerous sources that feed it.

OTA broadcasters should be advertizing the virtues of their medium,
rather than ensure the public remain ignorant of any such.