[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:53:32 -0500

William Smith wrote:

> You are not in the broadcast business anymore you are
> in the content distribution business..

FWIW, from a non-broadcaster, I agree with that 100 percent.

> 1. Run one SD MPEG-2 stream in ATSC to make the FCC
> happy...

That's fine, as long as competitors are free to run HDTV. My prediction
is that as fixed-pixel displays take over, pushing CRTs aside, people
will demand HDTV more than they do now. For example, I can't imagine why
anyone with a choice would have deliberately watched even something like
the State of the Union address in SD, when both SD and HD were offered.
I don't care what some people keep repeating, that newscasts and such
don't "need" to be HDTV. It still makes a big difference.

But that's how it's supposed to work. One station manager chooses SD
only, viewers prefer to tune to HD options, and advertizers take notice.
Or, possibly, people really won't care. That's how the market is
supposed to work.

> 2. Add datacasting support for files and video streams
> using advanced codecs.
>
> 3. Make the systems technology agnostic using IP as the
> glue.. to help stave off being bypassed..
>
> 4.Gateway the IP traffic to station owned local WI Max
> and WIfi hot spots to get your content to the public.
>
> 5.Educate people on how to get your services by every
> means you can think off including providing datacast
> reception software for free.
>
> Have you ever considered how far a WiFi hot spot might
> reach from the top of your tower??

I'm not so impressed with the WiFi use, primarily because the MAC
protocol of 802.11 is optimized for two-way, multiple access, and is
very wasteful of bandwidth when used for broadcasting. It's not so
impressive to use 20 MHz channels to transmit at most 26 Mb/s (802.11g),
or far less than that with 802.11b.

Can you imagine what would happen to the availability of WiFi spectrum
for private nets, as it was meant to be used, if all broadcasters
started transmitting WiFi from their towers, at multiple KW or ERP,
enough power to be received indoors, for example?

But in general, I like the idea of making use of multiple outlets for
content. It's essentially a natural extension of what broadcasters
already do now, with cable and DBS.