[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:44:50 -0500

Nick Kocsis wrote:

> Portability and mobility trumps any amount of money if
> the goal is to use spectrum in a manner that serves the
> public and not the politicians that get all those
> juicy trips and dinners paid for by the lobbyists.

I guess my point was that it seemed fairly clear that the issues were
NOT entirely technical. There were apparently other considerations
there, including possible development work done in country as a result
of the choice. This is entirely commonplace in this sort of negotiation.
Not to mention the 300M Euro loan, which I doubt the ATSC so far has
matched (but I don't know this for a fact).

The technical tradeoffs are debatable ad nauseam. Brazil is a
geographically enormous country. Certainly, anyone with the guts to do a
long range reception comparison test between the three standards could
make the case that a scheme optimized for long range, at equal bandwidth
and power, would be beneficial to such a huge country. Just a point to
consider, among many.

Obviously, choosing a COFDM scheme would not be a mistake. However, I
don't think the mea culpa attitude about all related to ATSC or the US
govt is valid either. The price of ATSC boxes, being HD especially, is
simply not going to be a valid argument anymore. The cost/price
differential is inconsequential.