[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:48:54 -0500

On 12/7/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

>> We have a perfect example of what ails OTA TV in the
>> Gainesville market. Craig says 93 percent cable
>> penetration. Gee, what a surpise. They don't even provide
>> the major networks OTA. Is it really that hard to figure
>> out why Gainesville TV customers don't care much about
>> their ATSC tuner?

> All your arguments are correct for the current ATSC tuner.
> Your arguments don't hold up if we had a DVB-T/H tuner. If
> that were so then you would have a completely different
> choice being offered to the viewer.

Aaaargh.

All of this migration away from OTA happened well before DTT was a
factor, Bob. It happened mostly because many people wanted 150 channels
of sports, and it happened in the late 1970s and 1980s. Well before any
talk of DTT.

People in other countries migrated away from OTA also. Both Germany
and Japan have very high cable penetration. Doesn't seem to affect the
very successful rebirth of OTA in either of these two since both
countries are at 30% and 35% penetration of households after less time
than the US has had with 8-VSB. And you can expect that those people
are actually using their OTA DTV receivers unlike in the US where we
are faking it.

Bob Miller

If Gainesville, and probably other similar markets, don't even offer the
basic OTA channels, this has nothing to do with
NTSC/PAL/SECAM/ATSC/DVB-T. It has everything to do with the fact that
the bean counters in Gainesville find operating OTA stations to be less
than lucrative. Or they are on the take. Or whatever.

So expecting for DTT to be huge hit, after the population went
voluntarily, or was forced to tie themselves to the umbillical cord, is
fighting an uphill battle. You won't match the choice of cable
regardless. People don't have your obsession with COFDM. They couldn't
care less about OTA TV, mostly because, especially over there, they see
it as totally inadequate. It's not modulation schemes they are looking
for. They can't even get NBC OTA, for heaven's sake.

At this stage of 8-VSB development, it would be very possible to
introduce a cool new OTA TV service in Gainesville with ATSC,
technically speaking. It works, it's cheap, you can offer multicasts as
well as HDTV, and it's the law of the land. If people aren't flocking to
it in droves, it's NOT because of the modulation. It's because there are
only four channels available, those same bean counters still see 93
percent of people tied to cable, and the people still want 150 channels
of sports. Or they've been brainwashed into complacency.

As to DVB-H, that's certainly allowed, and it's still a possibility. Let
me know when it's a huge hit anywhere.