[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:04:45 -0500

Mark Schubin erote:

> TV broadcasters do lots of promotion -- print ads, radio,
> billboards, etc. -- but you are correct that they are not
> promoting DTT much. So let us ask why.
>
> Can it be that they expect the 2009 date to fail?  I don't
> think so.

IMO, this is the sort of questioning that we need more of, to get to the
bottom of this situation with DTT.

On your first suggestion, even if that were true, it still wouldn't
excuse the lack of DTT promotion. Consider first that IBOC radio is not
even scheduled to replace analog radio anytime soon. That doesn't stop
the broadcasters from being excited about IBOC.

Also, lack of analog TV should not be considered an absolute
prerequisite for a good DTT system to be successful. In the much vaunted
UK and French examples, analog shutoff is years behind the US.

> Can it be that they don't want to drive away audience?
> Perhaps. In my apartment, it has always (except with the
> magic LG 5th-gen box) been easier to get some stations
> than others. So, suppose I'm Fox. I promote WNYW-DT. My
> viewers buy DTT receivers, take them home, and find they
> can get ABC, CBS, and NBC, but not Fox. Promotional
> money well spent?

I could certainly accept that explanation initially, and did so. It made
a whole lot of sense between 1998 and 2002.

After 2002, then after the Linx field trials, after the LG tests in
Ottawa, all I heard was continued disinterest and whining, like none of
this was real, or like people couldn't understand what the tests and the
specs showed. There must be some real engineers in the TV industry.

And then nothing on store shelves that the FCC didn't mandate.

Digital radio isn't perfect either, especially in hybrid mode, but
somehow radio broadcasters are showing a level of excitement at the
start. Did you see the rebates offered on digital radios, by Ibiquity? I
already mentioned the on-air promotions.

I was expecting a lot more, after 4th and 5th gen ATSC products were
developed. LG in particular really torqued me off. If anything convinced
me things weren't right, that was it. Retire the iffy 3rd gen products
and replace them with nothing.