[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:07:35 -0500

On 12/7/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have a perfect example of what ails OTA TV in the Gainesville market.
Craig says 93 percent cable penetration. Gee, what a surpise. They don't
even provide the major networks OTA. Is it really that hard to figure
out why Gainesville TV customers don't care much about their ATSC tuner?

Honestly, Bob, you sound to me like someone prescribing Nyquil to cure a
patient with a broken leg.

All your arguments are correct for the current ATSC tuner. Your
arguments don't hold up if we had a DVB-T/H tuner. If that were so
then you would have a completely different choice being offered to the
viewer.

Your premise is that with DVB-T for instance nothing would change and
if true your right of course. My argument is that things would change.
New players would enter the market, new dynamics would be present.

For one thing LG at least would start selling STBs, COFDM ones of
course. And at least 150 companies would join the fray to offer
receivers to the US market who are absent at the moment.

Bob Miller