[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:57:58 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
The other thing to consider is promotion. I listen to FM radio. I am
amazed at the level of promotion their new digital stations get on the
air. I think groups like Bonneville Broadcasting are doing a super job.
I cannot say the same for TV
TV broadcasters do lots of promotion -- print ads, radio, billboards, etc. -- but you are correct that they are not promoting DTT much. So let us ask why.

Can it be that they expect the 2009 date to fail?  I don't think so.

Can it be that they don't want to drive away audience? Perhaps. In my apartment, it has always (except with the magic LG 5th-gen box) been easier to get some stations than others. So, suppose I'm Fox. I promote WNYW-DT. My viewers buy DTT receivers, take them home, and find they can get ABC, CBS, and NBC, but not Fox. Promotional money well spent?

I'm open to other theories.

TTFN,
Mark