[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:11:56 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> People in other countries migrated away from OTA also.

And in those countries where people migrated in large numbers to cable,
DTT is not a big deal. Including in Germany, it's not a big deal.

Italy, France, UK, even Australia, are all heavy users of OTA TV. (And
by the way, the average guy in the street is just about as clueless on
DTT in Italy as over here. In spite of the reported high penetration of
DTT specifically in Sardegna.)

> Both Germany and Japan have very high cable penetration.
> Doesn't seem to affect the very successful rebirth of
> OTA in either of these two since both countries are at
> 30% and 35% penetration of households after less time
> than the US has had with 8-VSB.

First of all, I question those figures. I have no idea how successful
ISDB is in Japan, for example.

Secondly, and most importantly, in all these DTT countries, what they
are offering is regular TV. Yes, a greater choice of channels, but
regular TV. EXACTLY what ATSC, even without A-VSB, is quite capable of
doing. So all the stuff about mobility, or other excuses, is just noise.
If anything, due to the low power they are using in France, Italy, and
the UK, mobile DVB-T is highly doubtful. So let's quit harping on
irrelvant things.

You should look at what the meaningful differences are. For example, how
many TV channels are offered over German cable systems, compared with
what is offered over their new DTT scheme? It is this sort of thing that
makes a difference.

Instead, you obsess over the modulation type.

People here, with new ATSC-capable sets, do use them. It would be nice
to have those numbers, but already two of my friends at work have done
this recently, as they have bought new integrated sets.

The other thing to consider is promotion. I listen to FM radio. I am
amazed at the level of promotion their new digital stations get on the
air. I think groups like Bonneville Broadcasting are doing a super job.
I cannot say the same for TV, although I was happy to see CW 54 in
Baltimore, a Sinclair station, promoting their music video multicast.
Good for them.