[oagitm] Re: Microsoft License Agreement

  • From: "NEWMAN Peter R" <Peter.R.NEWMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <davidcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ANDERSON.DEAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:25:50 -0800

We also  had the choice at one time of EA or pay the fines...

We have been on EA since 2002.  Depends on your agreement and what your
buying licenses for.  When you calculate just operating system and
office for a single machine for 4 years (our replacement cycle) yes it
may be a bit cheaper to buy the select route.  Then you still have to
buy Core CALs though for terminal services SQL exchange ect...  In our
agreement we also have the MSDN and all of our servers.

It's a steep price tag to pay but when the Fed's come knocking, it's a
nice security blanket to know that we have and are doing our due
diligence.

Peter Newman
Systems Administrator
Benton County

From: DEAN ANDERSON [ANDERSON.DEAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: davidcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [davidcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]; Randy Paul
[rpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]; oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx];
Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

How well a pay-as-you-go works, depends how you do it.  We do what Lake
Oswego does (Chip said it much better though).  We are very
standardized, control purchases, upgrades, etc...  It seems to work
pretty well for us.

Dean Anderson

IT Director

Polk County

>>> Randy Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1/19/2011 1:38 PM >>>
I concur. Once you let your maintenance go you have to repurchase the
licenses. It's going to be much better in the long run to keep up with
it.

Also, do you really want to let IT upgrade policy be set by how much
money your agency feels it has right then? I inherited an organization
like that. We had every version of Office and Windows that had been
released in the last ten years. It may save money on the front end, but
supporting a heterogeneous network is way more expensive in the end.
True savings in support comes from standardization.

Did I mention that when you do decide to upgrade you have to buy all
those licenses again? Those who are only doing pay as you go do not have
the same business case you do. You have already invested in all those
licenses and are only paying maintenance. You will lose that by
terminating the EA.

*R*

Randy Paul
Information Technology Director