[oagitm] Re: Microsoft License Agreement

  • From: "Larouche, Chip" <clarouche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:22:40 -0800

We've never had the Enterprise Agreement (what I think you're talking about).

We've always used that is called the "select agreement" which I consider a buy
as you go plan.

If you keep track of your "stuff" and only upgrade when it makes sense, I
suspect you'll find it way less expensive like I do.

Some of the key points with managing like this:

 *   I bought about a 100 Windows 7 licenses to upgrade things as I need to,
but most of the Win7 upgrades happen when we field new workstations.
Workstations stay in mainstream places about 6 years.  I don't have any
problems supporting WinXP even when Microsoft stops their support, by that
time, these boxes will be in fairly unimportant places
 *   We usually stay behind one version of Office.  Our mainstay right now is
2007.  Of course when we do buy licenses we buy 2010 and keep track of
them...but we install 2007.
 *   I'm generally on SQL 2005 right now and Exchange 2007.
 *   The only thing I buy with Software Assurance (which you have to pay a fee
for your licenses when the state renews the contract) are my CALS of all types
(SQL, SERVER, Exchange) and my IIS.

Hope this helps.

v/r
Chip Larouche