[oagitm] Re: Microsoft License Agreement

  • From: "DEAN ANDERSON" <ANDERSON.DEAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "davidcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <davidcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Pat.Hartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:42:15 -0800

How well a pay-as-you-go works, depends how you do it.  We do what Lake Oswego
does (Chip said it much better though).  We are very standardized, control
purchases, upgrades, etc...  It seems to work pretty well for us.

Dean Anderson
IT Director
Polk County

>>> Randy Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1/19/2011 1:38 PM >>>
I concur. Once you let your maintenance go you have to repurchase the licenses.
It's going to be much better in the long run to keep up with it.

Also, do you really want to let IT upgrade policy be set by how much money your
agency feels it has right then? I inherited an organization like that. We had
every version of Office and Windows that had been released in the last ten
years. It may save money on the front end, but supporting a heterogeneous
network is way more expensive in the end. True savings in support comes from
standardization.

Did I mention that when you do decide to upgrade you have to buy all those
licenses again? Those who are only doing pay as you go do not have the same
business case you do. You have already invested in all those licenses and are
only paying maintenance. You will lose that by terminating the EA.

*R*

Randy Paul
Information Technology Director
Klamath County Oregon