[ncolug] Re: vm

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:32:58 -0500

No, that is NOT how it works. The UPS cannot send a SIGHUP, it isn't running Linux.

The UPS only drops a logical voltage on a pin on the serial interface. (Or sends a serial string via USB.) It is up to the computer and OS to correctly interpret (or ignore) that.

The real question is: can multiple virtual machines even be communicating with a UPS? Better yet, is there a function in the hypervisor that will simply act on behalf of the UPS and shut down (or suspend) all VMs at once....?

Chuck Stickelman wrote:
So what I hear you say is:
Hook the UPS to the physical machine
Have the host OS monitor the UPS's state
When the UPS signals the host it sends a SIGHUP to the Virtual Machines
The VMs should then interpret the SIGHUP as a Shutdown command

Is that what you had in mnd?

Does anyone know if that's how it works?

Chuck