[ncolug] Re: vm

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:57:33 -0400

Rob Gibson wrote:

The VMWare server is a closed-source proprietary application.  They
can always yank new versions from the current pricing structure.  It
is actually out of beta, however.

In fact, I just installed 1.0.1 today on my box so that I could play
around with it and have access to a Linux machine from North Central
when I go back.  So far, I have installed a copy of "etch" and
downloaded a couple of the VMTN machines to play with.  Next is to see
how well BeOS plays with it, just for curiousity's sake.

Rob

On 8/16/06, larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It looks to me like the vmware server product for Linux will not always
be free as in $... it is a beta, after all...

--
There are souls in this world which have the gift of finding
joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go.

                                  Frederick Faber (1814-1863)

Agreed, they could yank it; though, they say they are committed to making it free. With the FOSS virtuilization apps and MS making theirs free too, I don't think we'll ever see this technology become pay to play ever again. It's the datacenter monitoring and aggregation tools were they're going to make their money.

With the free crowd as testing chattel, their product will remain at the crest of the curve. Just look at the Linsksys WRT54G(s).

Mike K.

Subject field.