[ncolug] Re: vm

  • From: "Chuck Stickelman" <CStickelman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:05:22 -0500

I don't know  that answer when running VM Ware, though I do know that it is not
a problem under Xen.

Xen is very god at offering near metal-speed to the guest "Domains"...  Also,
since you see the underlying hardware, there is no problem w/ diddling the
burner devices...

I still have a lot to learn about Xen, but I expect it will pay off!  One thing
Xen really wants is CPUs that support Virtualization.

It also apears that Xen makes use of some features that are in 32-bit CPUs and
not in 64-bit ones - namely, execution rings.  The 32-bit CPUs have 4 rings
(0-3)and it sounds like the 64-bt ones don't (or if they do, Xen can't make use
of rings 1 & 2...)

Neat stuff!

I'm wating on the final quote for my new server and it is definately going to
run Xen!

Chuck